Saturday 2 August 2014

The Barbican: The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk

Last Thursday evening I arrived at the Barbican in an air of thinly veiled excitement to see the Jean Paul Gaultier exhibition. I'd been looking forwards to seeing the exhibition for some time and couldn't wait to see what pieces were going to be on display!




Everything started brilliantly. While in the ticket queue, a lady approached me and gave me a ticket, saying that a member of her party hadn't showed. Her generosity set my smile even more firmly on my face and so, clutching my ticket, I stepped into the world of Jean Paul Gaultier. 

The exhibition was theatrical to say the least. All around stood mannequins with lifelike projected faces, draped in glitzy costumes. Some spoke to you, while others sang in unearthly voices while you gazed up at their decadent attire. Like Alice down the rabbit hole, I was sucked into the fantastical realm of Gaultier. 







And what a world it was. I was surrounded by everything from beautiful couture and showgirl outfits worn by Kylie and Madonna, to the downright mythical- there was at least one mermaid outfit on display!*








My favourite photographer (Miles Aldridge) even made an appearance just before I rounded a corner and came face to face with a moving catwalk where mannequins glided by, displaying their finery. 





One of my favourite costumes was found in a section entitled 'Skin Deep' and was a glittering black exoskeleton, complete with arm bones. I also adored the huge headdresses atop the street-inspired punks, making them tower above the surrounding mannequins. 














The exhibition blew all my expectations out of the water (and trust me, I had high expectations!). It was fabulous from start to finish and really gave me an insight into the mind of Jean Paul Gaultier. The magic of the experience totally captivated me and I would strongly recommend getting down to the Barbican to experience it for your self before those life-like mannequins get up and walk away! 




*One mermaid had crutches which injected some unexpected humour into the display!

6 comments:

  1. This looks so good, and it's great that they let you take pictures! (That's my only problem with V&A exhibitions- I always want to take photos!)
    www.ablogbygeena.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is incredible Geena! And yes, I feel exactly the same way, especially only having just been to 'Wedding Dresses' where I couldn't take any photos!

    KJx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so annoyed I missed this when I was in London a few weeks back. I saw the ad for the exhibition on my last day in the city, so I didn't have time to see it. Looks amazing - great photos and lovely blog. I'm now following you on Bloglovin.


    www.stephstrays.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is such a shame Steph! I know it's on for a couple of days more if you have time to rush back and see it?


    Thank you! I'll be sure to check out your blog too!
    KJx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everygoodthingblog by Melissa5 August 2014 at 20:11

    Such cool photos Katie Jane! So much inspiration! Looks like it was a great visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Melissa! The exhibition was fabulous!


    KJx

    ReplyDelete